Friday, April 20, 2012

My Hero


Jen said the other day she didn't know why Pat is my hero. I didn't play for Tennessee though it was my dream growing up. I haven't even met her. But here's the thing: I DID play for Pat Summitt.

From the time I can remember, I watched Pat coach. I listened to all ESPN could say about her and cherished the moments we were allowed to see inside the locker room and hear her pre-game and halftime talks. I got chills through the TV because of her infamous stare. And, oddly, it made me work harder.

Knowing Coach Summitt focused on the core principles of the game, I spent countless afternoons and weekends alone on the courts at Keswick park, at school, wherever I could to make sure my shooting was at its best - not because I thought I would play for her, but because her coaching was clearly the best and I wanted to be the best.

Her locker room talks weren't just about the team in the room. Her tenets aren't just about basketball. Her coaching techniques reached far beyond the court. Pat Summitt didn't just want to win games. She coached over 160 women and all of them graduated from UT. In her book, "Reach for the Summit," Pat included a copy of her "Definite Dozen" rules for the team. The original is in the women's locker room at UT, but I keep a copy on my desk at work.

The Definite Dozen

1. Respect Yourself and Others: There is no such thing as self-respect without respect for others.

2. Take Full Responsibility: Admit to and make yourself accountable for mistakes. How can you improve if you're never wrong?

3. Develop and Demonstrate Loyalty: Loyalty is not-unilateral. You have to give it to receive it.

4. Learn to Be a Great Communicator: Communication eliminates mistakes.

5. Discipline Yourself So No One Else Has To: Discipline helps you finish a job, and finishing is what separates excellent work from average work.

6. Make Hard Work Your Passion: Do the things that aren't fun first, and do them well.

7. Don't Just Work Hard, Work Smart: Know your strengths, weaknesses and Needs.

8. Put the Team Before Yourself: Teamwork allows common people to achieve uncommon results.

9. Make Winning an Attitude: Combine practice with belief.

10. Be a Competitor: There is nothing wrong with having competitive instincts. They are survival instincts.

11. Change is a Must: Change equals self-improvement. Push yourself to places you haven't been before.

12. Handle Success Like You Handle Failure: You can't always control what happens, but you can control how you handle it.



Her career speaks for itself:

SUMMITT'S COACHING CAREER

Pat Summitt is the only coach (men's or women's) to reach the 100-win mark in the NCAA tournament (112). Tennessee has produced 20 All-Americans and 12 Olympians. She earned $8,900 in her first season at Tennessee, but in 2008-09 became the first women's coach to earn more than $1 million in a season. -- ESPN Stats & Info

Seasons 38
Win-Loss 1,098-208
Win percentage .841
NCAA tourn appear 31
Tourn Win-Loss 112-23
Tourn percentage .830
Final Fours 18
NCAA titles 8


Pat Head Summitt put heart and soul into her job. She has a contagious work ethic, a way of communicating her passion that displays a tenacious winning attitude and a method of coaching that relays her concern for the team's success - not only on the court, but in life. The sum of those things (and more) resulted in the most successful career and program known to women's sports.

THAT is why she is my hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment