Wednesday, June 23, 2010

If it ain't one thing, it's my Mother

Mom and Dad are driving to my cousin Frank's wedding in Maryland. Since it is such a long trip and mom's car recently burped up a transmission issue, they decided to rent a car. And, mom, being the practical person she is, found the closest car rental location to home - a Hertz at the Toyota World dealership.

Now, the issues with Toyotas have been well documented over the last year. In addition, the recalls and fixes have also shared the limelight. And, in stark contrast to the recent BP Public Relations work, Toyota seems to have handled the massive - could have been catastrophic - safety concerns very well. But, my mom is not quick to jump off the bandwagon.

Mom calls the Hertz (again, at the TOYOTA World dealership) and proceeds to tell them she does NOT want a Toyota.

Take a step back here for a moment...I work at a very well known transportation company...even though we have many vendors here, I would be offended if any of them said, "please don't send me anything unless it comes through FedEx."

The poor Hertz guy got no less than 4 calls from mom in a single day, as he searched for and requested any full size car but a Toyota to be delivered to his location. Finally, just after 5pm, the phone rings for mom. He has found and had another option delivered...a Nissan Altima. When I heard this, I smirked. (I had an Altima and shared my auto woes with mom throughout my ownership).

Mom, being her ever predictable self, turns to me and says, "should I call him back and tell him I'll take the Toyota?"

1 comment: