Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The best Christmas EVER


I think most of us have a special holiday memory - one that, should no other holiday stand out, will forever be THE memory. For me, this memory is Christmas of '81.

You see, every year, my family would drive to Oak Ridge, Tennessee to spend Christmas with Aunt Kathy and Uncle Lou. Grandma was there each year too... and since 1976, my aunt and uncle added a new face to the family every two and a half years (they stopped after 81).

As we arrived, the most amazing sight was the glimmer of the bubble lights on Aunt Kathy's tree. (I put them on my tree to this day). Each Christmas Eve, we would turn off the room lights, sit in front of the fireplace with hot drinks, talk about our Christmas wishes and stare at the beauty that was the Christmas tree. Then, each of us kids was directed to our respective beds.

In 1981, though, because the number of kids was growing and the number of rooms was not, I was set to sleep in the formal living room - which overlooked the downstairs. Aunt Kathy came around to tuck us all in bed and I drifted off to sleep with the sounds of my parents, Aunt and Uncle still talking over the soft music downstairs.

I awoke to a room lit only by the stars outside the front window and a sound I KNEW was Santa. I rubbed the sand from my eyes and crept to look down at the tree. And that is when it happened. Innocence was lost. I spied Uncle Lou playing with a game that only Santa was to setup. The toys Santa left each year were the only ones not wrapped when we gathered in the morning and Uncle Lou was putting mine together! After a few moments of taking it all in, I slipped back to the couch and went back to sleep.

Please understand, it was a bittersweet moment. I had reached the age that I was fairly certain about Santa's existence or lack thereof and now I had my proof. However, there was a joy I saw in my Uncle that night...a smile that I have since learned is rarely seen outside of my presence. It is a smile I will always remember and a moment I cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment