Tuesday, October 18, 2011

How many?

I've received feedback that I have too many 'friends' on Facebook. Now, comparatively, I'd say my friend count is about average. But that would just be my guess. So, I did a little study. I turned on fb and used the first 20+ status updaters as my sample group.

As with any scientific study, there were some outliers... a couple of business owners that use fb as a marketing tool as much as a personal friend keeper. I excluded them from the study. Then, I looked at the Hyper-social (I've been unjustly accused) - people who do not own businesses, have causes, or other requirements that end with over 1000 friends and I excluded them too (because they are FREAKS). Finally, I looked at the anti-social... if you don't want to communicate with people - why are you on fb?? Just to show I'm actually carrying an average number of friends, I kept the wallflowers.

So, out of 22, I removed the two freaks, and summed the number of friends listed for each of the others. 6031 friends for 20 people... do the math... 301 (and a half) each on average. Some had around 100, some had over 500; a couple had under 60 and one, oddly enough, had 100 even.

Still, the point made to me was that noone - no sane person - really has 300+ friends. So, over the past few weeks, I've been doing a little cleaning - here and there - of my friend listing. The original definition for who got to stay was: "who would get on a boat with me"... most people merely nodded their heads, but missed pressing the buttons to signal me any other way.

Instead, my decision point, currently, is one of the following:

1) I'm not easily offended, so if you post something so stupid or nasty on fb that I rear back... you're off the list

2) If I have to ask - now, where did I meet this person... he or she is off the list

3) If you post anything that would be offensive to anyone I love... you're off the list

4) Crazy family of an ex? Really? Do I need to say it?... OFF THE LIST


I'm down to 264 now.

No comments:

Post a Comment