Monday, May 24, 2010

People are crazy

Ok, look... I don't like to be a tattletale, but in my recent travels, I felt the need.

I got on the plane - like many others, I'm sure, since September 2001, being more cognizant of my co-passengers. Across the aisle, an older gentleman (used loosely today) sat using his iphone. As the announcement blared for what seemed to be the 20th time and with the steward coming down the row, the man finally pulled his headphones off and began putting the phone away. However, the screen was still on as he slid the phone into his planner.

It made me uncomfortable... I just kept thinking, there's a reason the FAA has determined we should turn off our electronic equipment. In fact, the FCC and the FAA have agreed. Our phones transmit signals that can interfere with air/ground communication - in one case, a cell phone has even been identified as the reason the autopilot turned off in flight.

So, after our initial approach began, and the announcements were repeating again, the man was still on his iphone. The steward caught him this time and stood over him while asking the man to turn it off. The man said he did, but the screen was still on and the steward asked..."so, that screen is just a set screen? It's off?" and the man said yes. The steward walked away. The man started talking into the phone.

Here's my struggle: normally, I don't care what people do... I'm fairly laid back. But, when it comes to my safety and anyone's apparent lack of attention to it, I'm on full alert. So, I looked at him and said, "are you going to turn that off?" and he had the gall to say "No." Just that bluntly. Clearly, he doesn't get arguments from women often - or at least pays them no attention... unfortunately for him, I'm not accustomed to being ignored or simply patronized and I don't take it laying down. I pushed the call attendant button right in front of his eyes. No less than a second later, that phone was off.

The moral: Don't piss off a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment