Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Charmed...I'm sure


I have a little "charm" hanging in my cube at work. Charm might not be the word, but I'm not sure what to call it really. It's a collection of 5 ideas for a happy life. I keep it on the cube wall to remind me just how simple life can be. And, though it is there everyday...I reference it only upon occasion.

So here they are:

1. Free your heart from hatred.
2. Free your mind from worries.
3. Live simply.
4. Give more.
5. Expect less.

Generally, these reminders are helpful. However, I may need to place the charm in my car. Because Atlanta traffic wipes the zen-ness away without a second thought.

1. As soon as I hit the entrance ramp, I remember I hate traffic.
2. While I'm driving with two thirds of the Southeast around me, I worry that the fool tailgating me does not have insurance (or good brakes).
3. I try to calm down and remind myself, I bought this car with its luxuries so I could enjoy the ride I do have to endure.
4. And, I recognize immediately that it is against the laws of Atlanta traffic nature (and any hope of personal safety) to give the other drivers more room.
5. Yet, I still expect to be treated with more kindness by my fellow drivers.

I'm no Dalai Lama.

1 comment: