Tuesday, July 6, 2010

You're not from around here, are you?

Always good to open the month with an excerpt... here's the prologue to "Not my Native Tongue" (perhaps this should have been my first post for the blog)...



Those of us living in Atlanta know, geographically, we reside in the South, but Atlanta is not a southern city. I was born inside the city limits but, offhand, I can name fewer than twenty other natives that still live here. Seems like everyone else is a transplant – either because of work or family. I’m not saying that’s good or bad, but I will say that those of you who come looking for “southern hospitality” and don’t find it are dealing with people who aren’t Southerners.

Due to the influx of people born beyond the Mississippi River and the Mason Dixon line, it’s a whole different world here… a strange mix of metro and country, hicks and sophisticates, the best malls and the scariest flea markets…we’ve got it all. To say the least, the settlers in the area have held on to create a very interesting culture. I’m proud of my city – why shouldn’t I be? From slavery to segregation to bombs at the Olympics, it has weathered some of the toughest storms our country has ever known and grown into a wonderful place to work and live.

One thing that held true to the southern culture is that probably as much, if not more, than anywhere else in the US, we hold onto history in the South. Growing up here, you learn very early about the Civil War and Sherman’s march to the ocean. Occasionally, you’ll still see the stars and bars flying as you drive through the hills and you’ll still hear the reasons the South lost being batted around by the old timers, though less and less frequently. On summer nights, you can watch the laser show on the side of Stone Mountain and sing along with the King in his rendition of “Dixieland” as you see Jackson and crew gallop away into the horizon. 'Gone with the Wind' shows every summer at the Fox and Margaret Mitchell’s house is just one stop on the “must-see” tour for first time visitors (never been there myself, but I hear it’s nice).

Good or bad, right or wrong, all of these things have contributed to who I am today. I have built long-lasting friendships with women and men; I have found that color is a state of mind, and given the chance, anybody can do anything; I have learned that words, contrary to the old sing song, can hurt and that a strong mind and tongue can be used for good as well as evil. But, more than anything, I have learned that my attitude has affected every aspect of my life: people, places and things. Now that I review, it’s been a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment