Monday, July 26, 2010

Simply...THE BEST

I have a good car - scratch that - GREAT car. I love this car. It's the first one I've kept long enough to pay off. But, that's not why I love it. I love it because it has everything I need - a good engine, great speaker system, CD player and a sunroof; a lot of things I don't need, but love - heated seats, leather seats, power windows and locks; and, it doesn't have what I don't need - a payment.

Since I've kept the car this long, I've also taken pretty good care of it. I make sure I get my oil changes, tires rotated and my mileage checkups as suggested. I do everything I can using one mechanic... James.

I have spent my fair share on new tires and scheduled maintenance items. There are some costs that are just part of keeping a car... but along with making sure my car is in good shape, James is also the guy that tells me, "No, you still have 40% on those brakes. Probably the next time you come in here, we should change them" and "Well, bring it in here and let me take a look at it" only to be followed by, "we fixed it... it was easy. Don't worry about it, no charge."

Today was one of those days. My car has been acting up - just a little - but noticeable to me. So, I called James and got the same response, "just bring it on in here, Ms. Edie, we'll take a look." No exaggeration, within 5 minutes of walking in the door, James was back with the issue identified. A dead cell in my Die Hard battery. And, (here's where you know he's awesome) he said, "you should take it back to Sears - it's probably still under warranty and I'd have to charge you $100 for a new one." Recognizing he was sending me away yet again with no charge, I told him that I should - someday - pay him for his work...

His reply:

"It's not always about Money."

3 comments:

  1. I want this guy's number the next time I need something done. I actually figured out and fixed my check engine light myself! Can you believe it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, an honest mechanic. All this time I thought that was an oxymoron. So I guess now you're going to say there really is a tooth fairy, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete