Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Where there's a Will...

My mother has always enjoyed travelling... across the country and internationally. Even with the numerous hijackings in the 80s and terrorists bombings like the plane over Lockerby, Scotland - she never swayed from her desire for oversees and international travels. Not to say she didn't consider the off-chance she'd become one of the unlucky few, of course. No, mom was acutely aware of the inherent dangers...and, it seems her awareness grew through the years.

To this point, as I grew older, mom felt it necessary to provide me with a copy of her Will. A wise decision, yes. However, mom decided to provide me with a copy of her Will every time she travelled. And, just in case I lost it, she also kept a couple of additional copies.

For a while there, in what seemed the safest of travel adventures, I felt we were having our last mother-daughter talk each time she left. The talk went something like this:

I've got a copy of my Will for you. Don't read it unless you have to...

Mom, seriously... did it change? I still have the last one.

It might have! Anyway, here's the key to the safe-deposit box. Also, I put a copy in the fire safe. Oh, and, another one in the freezer.


That's right... the freezer. Mom's never been accused of leaving a base uncovered. So, in the unimaginable (and, I mean that... I've tried to imagine it) case that I have lost my copy AND the safe-deposit key and then, somehow, the house burns down and the fire safe fails in its one-and-only reason for being - I can look in the freezer.

Bon Voyage, Mom...Bon Voyage

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious! I should probably write one. Oh. I don't think I own anything.

    ReplyDelete