Friday, July 30, 2010

Rights or Wrong?

Yet another excerpt from Not My Native Tongue...


There are days when, no matter how much equal rights meant to women years ago, I have to wonder what they were thinking! Evidently, no one read the fine print. Equal rights apparently didn’t also allow for equal pay or equal treatment. I’m not going to hop on the lower pay soapbox, it’s out there, it’s a fact and there’s just no use in arguing about it. But, equal rights were supposed to get us out of the house and into the workplace. A majority of men these days somehow missed the point and expect that we will do everything. Did I miss the vote? Was there a ghost rider on that law that said “Silly women, housework is for girls.”?

I’ve done some very scientific research in this area. From my studies I have found that most chores, though admittedly some are unseemly, can be done by anyone over the age of 5 (race, creed and religion play no part – oh, yeah, neither does sex). So, here’s what I say… I’m not your mother. Heck, I’m doing everything I can to NOT be MY mother.

Don’t get me wrong - my intentions are all good. I want you to be happy, I want you to have everything you want but, most of all, I want you to be independent, willing to help out around the house and respect me as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment